Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Converting 360 video into an explorable mini virtual world

Walkabout worlds have come a long way since I first showed some friends my first demos at the start of the year.  In general I have am pretty happy with the the state they are at (see here), but I found that while static photospheres were great for building a virtual world for something like a house, they did not quite capture what it was like to be at great outdoor location.  There wasn't the sounds or the movement of leaves and water that make you feel like you are there.

As I thought about it, I realized that it would only take a small tweak to make a Walkabout use a 360 video instead of a 360 panorama.  So I went and grabbed my new Ricoh Theta S, took some video, and ran it through the walkabout editor and 10 minutes later I had my first video based Walkabout.  Right now it only works on Google Chrome, but I am sure with a little tweaking I can get it working on IE and Firefox.  I have had other 360 videos work using WebGL on those other browsers, so I think I just need to use a different codec or something.
Also the video quality is not great.  The Theta S video quality is improved over the Theta M15 but it is still not pro level and the Theta doesn't let you play with color or ISO settings in video mode, so you will notice as you move around that the color changes quite a bit.

But still, as a test of concept, I really like these first results.  Check it out:

Click Here To Explore A Waterfall

No comments:

Post a Comment